Welcome

St. Nicholas Episcopal Church of Kapolei Hawaii has held "Covenant Group" meetings for about 10 years. These groups meet weekly for fellowship, prayer and reflection on the readings and the sermon from the previous week. This blog is an attempt to offer the prayer and reflection as an on-going basis. The challenges of schedules and more prevent many members from participating in our groups, perhaps this will allow for additional participation. I will post readings and questions - please answer the questions and contribute as you're comfortable in the comment sections. Blessings

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Look - Making time to listen


“Busy” – a common answer when you ask how someone has been, let’s look at what keeps you busy and distracted.
  1. Are you easily distracted?
  2. Share a time when you missed out on something because you were
    busy and distracted with something else.
  3. When life gets hectic, what are you most likely to put on hold? 

3 comments:

  1. Me? Distracted? What were we talking about . . .

    Nothing specific comes to mind, although I'm sure there have been a few. I struggle to balance competing interests. Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on something with the kids, but I also know I can miss out on study or pastoral interactions if I'm not disciplined too.

    Laundry and dishes tend to pile up, but they have a way of demanding attention before too long. I miss details on things that are important to me when I allow things to get to busy and distracted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. from Kerry:

    1. Yes.

    2. Not sure what I missed out on because I missed it when I was too busy.

    3. I feel like I am just so busy with stuff to do. It feels like I am constantly putting out fires. I suppose I put on hold the things that I feel can be taken care of later. (stuff that isn't due now)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am and where it gets bad is that I then get immersed in a task....so if i'm supposed to be doing one thing and I see an email come in or a reminder that "xyz needs to happen", I can drop what I SHOULD be doing/working on and give hours of attn to the new thing. That often makes for midnite nites when I realize that whoops - Thing A never got done today!

    And WAH on share a time when I missed out on something coz I was so busy with something else - I laffed (cried) when I saw that question as the first thing that came to mind were: my two children! One of them is a college sophomore - HOW did that happen? Did I spend enough time with him? Did I relish enough in all the mommy experiences? Did I put work/volunteer work in front of him way too many times? Hubby even commented recently: when we have grandkids I'm gonna throw ball with them, teach him/her how to golf, - all these things he shoulda done with his own kids - ack! SIGH.

    ReplyDelete